Nerd Network presents: JON DASILVA (The Haçienda, Manchester) 15.1.2011 @ Helsinki

3 posts, 1 page, 939 views

AMikael

#1 • • AMikael
jondasilva02.jpg

We have the pleasure to announce that the legend Jon Dasilva is coming to visit Nerd Network in Helsinki. Jon was one of the residents at Factory Record's and New Order's club The Haçienda in Manchester during the late 80's and early 90's as well as New Order's tour DJ. Jon was one of the pioneering DJ's in the early days of rave culture but even that he was called the King of Acid he always have had a wider repertoir than only ...playing rave. He used to be a guitar player in a Post Punk band and his DJ sets builds upon the traditional Larry levan and Francois K school coupled with the wacked-out sonic experiments like Can, Suicide and Adrian Sherwood. Apart from dj'ing himself he had the time to mentor one of the 90's most influential DJ's; Sasha. Another interesting trivia about Mr. Dasilva is that he was acting as himself in the movie 24 hour party people.

Here is some quotes concerning Jon Dasilva:

“I heard Jon Dasilva playing a cappella first, he was the master of that stuff and I ripped his style. He was the one DJ at the Hacienda who really constructed a set and used a cappella and sound effects, mixed in key, built a set into a soundscape. He was the person who influenced me more than any other DJ.”

- Sasha (Interview in Jockey Slut Magazine, 2002)

"The Hot thing, everyone thinks it was just an acid house night but it wasn't because Jon Dasilva at the time was one of the greatest Djs in the world and Dasilva was Balearic. He'd never admit to being Balearic but we'd go early doors and Jon would do his warm up and it was fucking outstanding man. He'd play these really weird dubbed out reggae things and sound effects and slow disco things. Jon was incredibly Balearic. I mean no-one would play disco records at the time but Jon would make a disco record sound like a house record. At the time youd just think thats just another house record but listening back to tapes Ive got you think fucking hell, I cant believe he played that in the middle of a house set but he mixed it all in incredibly well, The thing that interested me most wasn't the house stuff but the weird records that pushed me more down that Balearic route. Mike Pickering would just be plying banging acid records, Chicago, Detroit thing but we'd queue up to get in. Once I was right at the front of the queue, sat there for an hour and half waiting to get it just so I could hear Dasilva play fucking Summer Rain Fall in the first five minutes, which is this BBC Sound Effects thing, just the sound of rain pouring down. Incredible! "

- DJ Richard "Moonboots" Bithell (from an interview "Moonboots: paid in tapas & other tales by Phil Thornton)

MATTIAS LODDING
(http://www.hi-scores.blogspot.com/ , Stockholm)

We also have a Swedish guest from Stockholm visiting us this very special Saturday. It's Mattias Lodding that was one of founders of 24:hrs soundsystem and have played records along for example Jacques Renault and Cosmo Vitelli to name a couple. Every now and then Mattias makes mixes on his blog: http://www.hi-scores.blogspot.com/. Check them out if you wanna listen to sets that ranges all the way from disco and skwee to deep house and techno.

a339221268423816.jpg

Sat 15th Jan
Nerd Network presents:

Jon Dasilva
(The Haçienda, Manchester)

Mattias Lodding (Stockholm)
Magnus Blomkvist
Janne X
Jaakko Kestilä

VJ Beige/Harmaa

5€ | 15.1.2011. | NOLLA