When I come to Helsinki?

13 posts, 1 page, 6,585 views

Truepioneer

#1 • • Truepioneer
Hello everyone:)

Which should be in June/July, I want to know if there are any good club nights or festivals I should know about ahead of time?

I'm pretty open minded so, I listen to almost all types of electronic music. Whether it be dnb, trance or techno.

Please point me in the right direction:)

Cheers:)
m1kk3

#2 • • Edited m1kk3 no-life
http://klubitus.org/kalenteri.php

There you will find all the events at that time, sorted by city, date, genre etc. :)

edit: there are only few events at the moment, but keep watching, more will be added :)

sorry about my engrish ;)

--
Kabinetti on niinkuin konemusa potenssiin kaksi.

(c) Sir Henri Risti

#3 • • astaroth Guest
^ as mikke mentioned above, i also recommend checking out the klubitus calendar

i don't believe, that there have been many events announced yet for that time of year, but new event announcements and updates come daily. if there's any specific event that you are curious about, i'm very sure that there's someone always in here willing to help you out
Truepioneer

#4 • • Truepioneer
Thanks people just wanted to make sure there isn't anything unannounced in the event listings that someone might know about;)

So is there a particular genre that is most popular in Helsinki. Three years ago a Finnish friend told me it was drum bass???

Which clubs are consistant with putting on the best nights?

I'm curious (plus staying at home tonight:P) so please tell me what I should know about Helsinki's party scene.

Thanx
#5 • • Edited astaroth Guest

Truepioneer, 5.4.2008 00:46:
So is there a particular genre that is most popular in Helsinki. Three years ago a Finnish friend told me it was drum bass???

i wouldn't dare to say so myself, allthough d'n'b has really brought itself up lately. :) but i think that the biggest mass attractions are purely trance & house events.

ministry of sound actually made a ten minute clip "clubbers guide to helsinki" with oded peled - > link
i suggest that you check it out, it points out a couple of places and clubs worth visiting. there are many venues that have provided room for parties, but places that actually play quality club music on weekend basis can be counted with fingers of a one hand - the rest of them tend to play just mainly pop influenced bullshit.
Aziz Combat Fighter

#6 • • Aziz Combat Fighter

Thanks people just wanted to make sure there isn't anything unannounced in the event listings that someone might know about;)

Sadly, no. At this point, Trance and Hard Trance attracts the masses. Maybe in time they'll learn.
Dementation

#7 • • Edited Dementation wednesday?

astaroth, 5.4.2008 01:16:
ministry of sound actually made a ten minute clip "clubbers guide to helsinki" with oded peled - > link
i suggest that you check it out, it points out a couple of places and clubs worth visiting. there are many venues that have provided room for parties, but places that actually play quality club music on weekend basis can be count with fingers of a one hand - the rest of them tend to play just mainly pop influenced bullshit.

That video can also be founded from YouTube:

And I can really agree others in this topic, from klubitus.org calendar, you will find the best partys almost anytime.

I also recommend you to look events from other citys too, because it is easy to take a bus or a train to almost everywhere, and citys like Turku, Tampere, Kotka, Kouvola etc can also offer something worthy enough to make a little roadtrip outside from capital city *vink*

EDIT: If you come in july, you might be intrested about these festivals:
http://www.konemetsa.net/

--
Verba volant, scripta manent {Sanat lentävät, kirjoitettu pysyy}
Quod scripsi, scripsi {Minkä kirjoitin, sen kirjoitin}
Dixi, et animam levavi {Olen puhunut ja huojentanut mieleni}

Amnesia

#8 • • Edited Amnesia
Just remember that we Finnish clubbers generally go by the calendar and individual parties/club nights. It's not advisable to just go randomly to a specific venue, even if people would recommend it. While there are some venues that have quality electronic music several nights a week (Redrum, Rosegarden...yeah, that's about it), it's still much better to take your pick from the Klubitus calendar.

As said, most of the parties in june/july haven't been announced yet. I would personally recommend parties that are not in the close vicinity of Helsinki centre. Ihana and Unity parties (progressive house/trance) at sea coast venues are a safe bet, though the latter will be sold out in ~15 minutes.
PS. If you like psy trance and even if just a bit, check out Konemetsä mentioned above.
serotonot

#9 • • Edited serotonot Paul Easy

Amnesia, 5.4.2008 10:11:
PS. If you like psy trance and even if just a bit, check out Konemetsä mentioned above.

I think one enjoys Konemetsä even if he/she wasn't a big fan of psychedelic trance. After all it's packed with quite a variety of different genres of electronic music from chill out to hard nrg and everything between. People just tend to think that it's psytrance festival because it's in the forest.

And Konemetsä has organized bus rides to the festival spot and back every year from Helsinki.

All the info will be @ www.konemetsa.net like someone said above
#11 • • astaroth Guest

Ana-5000, 5.4.2008 06:18:
At this point, Trance and Hard Trance attracts the masses. Maybe in time they'll learn.

that's funny. to me it appears, that when there was this inflation with hard dance parties a couple of years ago (practically you could say that there wasn't any of them, or not many worth mentioning), very many of the hard dancers became junglists all of a sudden :D

now hard dance is getting back on the horse again, step by step.
purrfect

#12 • • purrfect Tech nicks.

Truepioneer, 5.4.2008 00:19:
I want to know if there are any good club nights or festivals I should know about ahead of time?

It depends how open minded you are - and how long time you are going to spend in Helsinki. But personally I preferred to at least consider trip to Hanko as an option. I'm not sure if its appropriate to mention such an event here, but unless you don't consider yourself too young for such a trip I had great time there last summer.

I have to warn you though that Hanko was quite quiet place. Take a train in the morning, rent a cycle for a day and if you don't like it there come back in the evening.

http://www.hangoteatertraff.org/

--
Lzzzrs. Chrgng Imma Lzzzrs.

San Mejor

#13 • • San Mejor www.sanmejor.com

I guess people before me have already pointed it right about where to search for info and what is the situation with the clubbing scene and popular genres in Helsinki, I guess you can find whatever genre you want, if you search (or wait) good or long enough. But since you mentioned d'n'b and in case that you're into it, there is one good party, which has already been announced to be held on July 19th:

http://klubitus.org/tapahtuma.php?id=14171