FREEFORM - PHOTEK - Master of Beatz 08.04.2004

30 posts, 2 pages, 3,808 views

#1 • • Edited gwe Guest
FREEFORM - PHOTEK - Master of Beatz 08.04.2004

photek.jpg

PHOTEK (Photek Productions)

Rupert Parkes, aka Photek, Special Forces, Studio Pressure and Aquarius, first became hooked on music at the birth of hip hop in the mid 80's with the first electro and rap tunes. This naturally evolved into an interest in jazz and inspired by John Coltrane he learned to play the saxophone. In 1989 pirate radio turned him onto the warehouse parties and underground clubs of the UK rave scene.

Move to Ipswich marked the beginning of his music making in '92. Parkes began working at a record shop owned by Rob Solomon with whom he also began to record his first tracks. An early result was the 1992 jazz-inflicted hardcore track 'Sensation', recorded as Origination, which was picked up by Ray Keith, a friend of Solomon's, who was involved with Soho's Black Market Records. The following year Parkes and Solomon released 'Make You Do Right / Out Of this World' under the same name. As Studio Pressure Parkes recorded 'Jump' for Certificate 18 Records as his first solo release.

Parkes first Metalheadz release was 'Consciousness', 'Into the '90's' and 'The Rain'. Soon after came 'Drift to the Centre / Waveforms' on Good Looking, 1995 and 'Dolphin Tune / Aquatic' in 1996. It was around this time that Photek met long time friend and ally Peshay who had just released the incredible "Protoge EP' on Reinforced.

The next few years saw him remix artists such as Attica Blues, Goldie, Roni Size, Therapy, Dr. Octagon and later Björk, David Bowie, Everything But The Girl, Zero 7; at the same time the major labels became interested and in 1996 Photek signed to Virgin Records' subsidiary Science Records for a 5 album deal (his work is released by Astralwerks in America).

Parkes' first release on Science was 'The Hidden Camera' EP in 1996 followed by 'Ni Ten-Ichi-Rye' and 'Modus Operandi' in 1998. In the same year the latin future jazz 'Yendi' accompanied the release of the album's title track as a single.

When Parkes started working on his next album, 'Solaris', he looked back at the music that had inspired him when he first started making music. The 'Terminus' EP was released followed by the single 'Mine to Give' a collaboration with house legend Robert Owens.

It came as no surprise when people in the film and TV industry wanted to collaborate with Parkes and a temporarily move to Los Angeles was inevitable. Parkes scored the martial arts film 'Invincible', hip hop tv series 'Platinum', several chase scenes in 'The Italian Job', music for the 'Animatrix' etc. etc. During this time in LA Parkes also remixed the theme tune for the HBO hit 'Six Feet Under'.

Besides the film and TV work Parkes has decided to give priority to his own label 'Photek Productions' which has released several singles under his alias Special Forces. During the summer Parkes started a new urban label '51st State Entertainment on which he produces new talents.

Parkes' priority is to be creative and flexible being the visionary that he is. Parkes has summed up the direction of, arguably, the most creative dance music of the '90s in the most eloquent form. His high production quality and brilliant drum sound and patters gave him the name 'Master of beats' a true legend.

http://www.photekproductions.com
http://www.astralwerks.com/photek/

SWITCHJUAN (helsinki jungle mafia)

switchone.jpg

nine2five lounge: THE EXECUTIVES
"calculated sonics with mathematical precision"

::::: Bassobordelli Kerma 22-04
::::: Bar Redrum ke 22-04
::::: Erottajankatu 7, 00130 Helsinki
::::: 10e, K19

FREEFORM - life's about being a true playa - 14.5.2004

pascal.jpg

PASCAL (True Playaz)
www.true-playaz.co.uk

27.jpg

NASTYA (RUS)

::::: 7e, K19 (leidit ilmainen sisäänpääsy 22-23)

#2 • • Juha Vilkamo Guest
Mitä? :eek:

Ei vittu. Jees. :heart:
#3 • • Ana-- Guest
Hii! Hii! Hii!!!!
#4 • • Flat Guest
Tänne! :roll:
#5 • • Funkatronik Guest
Gutaa! Superherkkua jälleen luvassa koko kevääksi. Pitänee tulla ensi viikolla jos ei muuten, niin Boomerin äärityylikkäiden homoitsesaastutusviiksien vuoksi. ..
#6 • • kytkönen Guest
yes yes yes :heart:
#7 • • SAMi Guest

Photek

:)

pitää tulla pitkästä aikaa Freeformiin.
#8 • • yana Guest

Photek

:)

pitää tulla pitkästä aikaa Freeformiin.

!!!!!!!!!!!! TOD!

<3 <3
#9 • • gwe Guest
HUOM!! Ensi perjantain vieras vaihtui!
#10 • • [zaler] Guest
höh digital ois kyl ollu kiva nähä taas :( tyhmä kun peruutti...
mut ei toi randall myöskään paha ole :)
#11 • • gwe Guest
Huhtikuun tiedot päivitetty! :hearts:
#12 • • e Guest
"PHOTEK TULEE SUOMEEEEEEEN"

-afaik sadri

:heart: :heart: :heart:
#13 • • Gnizhak Guest
\o/

enää vajaa pari viikkoa :)
#14 • • töölöBASS Guest
tänne toki tietenkin aivanvitunsalettiin.

p.s. nastya on hottis <3
#15 • • pakana Guest
tööloBASS:

"p.s. nastya on hottis <3"

No näyttäis ainakin pärjäilevän melko vähällä ravinnolla :confused:

Miks tosta dj photekista o kauhee kilsan mittanu selostus (EN LUKENU KU ON NII PITKÄ) mut sit tost don schwartzjuanista ei mitn? KYSYN VAAN ETTÄ ONKO NYT SATTUNUT KÄMMI.

:mad:
#16 • • Gnizhak Guest

Miks tosta dj photekista o kauhee kilsan mittanu selostus (EN LUKENU KU ON NII PITKÄ) mut sit tost don schwartzjuanista ei mitn? KYSYN VAAN ETTÄ ONKO NYT SATTUNUT KÄMMI.

Switchistä tulis niin likasia paljastuksia vaan ettei anna uskalla laittaa niitä :>
#17 • • kytkönen Guest
heh, joo setti sillon 1997 oli kyl vähän likasempaa ku nykyään ;)

tässä tällänen nopee bio:

Past gigs include: Freeform @ Kerma (Helsinki), Locus @ Level (Bristol), Fast Forward @ Memphis (Helsinki), Hki Bass @ Alahuone (Helsinki), Blue Mountain (Bristol), Sun Dance Music Festival (Tallinn), Labyrinth @ Lepakko, Kaapeli (Helsinki) and numerous other...

I got introduced to jungle back in 1993 when I moved to London with my family and accidentally tuned into Kool FM. First tunes that really had an impact on me were Remarc's "RIP", "The Helicopter Tune" and Undercover Agent's "Oh Gosh" and the fact that I met an MC from a pirate FM at school didn't really slow my jungle enthusiasm down at all. I found myself hanging out at Blackmarket Records (Soho) and section5 (King's Road) and taping jungle shows off the radio... By 1997 I had decided to get my own decks. After practicing for about half a year, I got my first gig in JumpInn (Helsinki) and from then on I played at a multitude of bars, clubs and raves. After spending 4 years in Bristol, I am now residing back in Helsinki and my love for drum'n'bass is just as strong as back in 1993. I am very excited about the dnb production happening in Finland and Nordic countries in general and I like to support the local producers in every way I can. This means my sets are always full of surprises and fresh material.

näitten bileiden jälkeen mut voi kuulla 15.4 tallinnan Hollywood-klubilta.

peace!
#18 • • tuitui Guest
I'M SO HERE! :happyroll:
#19 • • Ana-- Guest

tööloBASS:

"p.s. nastya on hottis <3"

No näyttäis ainakin pärjäilevän melko vähällä ravinnolla :confused:

ixnay on the juanswitchnay!
#20 • • Lachesis Guest
Oho, Photek saapuu oivallisena päivänä! Tuetaan!