Is this normal practise?

11 posts, 1 page, 4,955 views

Opulent

#1 • • Opulent
Hi,
im trying to buy some equipment from musicstorekoeln.de However, as its my first time buying with them, they're requesting I send a copy of my passport and credit card as proof of id. Is this normal, and has anyone else had this same thing? Im not buying on finance, its just a straight forward c/card purchase. The site looks legite, but im a little worried about sending personal details to a company.
If you've had any experiences with them, good or bad, let me know please. Cheers (=
akir0

#2 • • Edited akir0 idleRPG champion 2009
I'd say that you should not send that information to them. Haven't bough anything from them, but i think it's better to be safe than sorry.

[edit] a bit of googling says it should be a legite shop but still seems strange.
Juhgu

#3 • • Juhgu Virnistelijä
Passport? Sounds weird.

--
Mitään juuri kirjoittamaani ei ole sellaiseksi tarkoitettu.

Byproduct (live)

Opulent

#4 • • Opulent
some other djs have said that they've had to send id to thomann previously, so it could be a german thing. Also they only want id for first purchase as im a new customer. What is a bit silly is that i can order from them, and pay an extra 13s, if i pay by cod. I dont want to do that though because it makes more sense for me to pay from my english account, and take advantage of the stronger pound.
phear

#5 • • phear <X>
I've ordered some stuff from there a couple of (or is it many already?) years ago. They did ask me to fax a copy of my passport there. No probs, just sent it and then paid with my credit card on their site. Otherwise a good shop, but it took them two months to deliver that piece (a Red Darkstar if I remember correctly).

Their shop is right in the centre of Köln and I've been there twice. So it's a totally legit shop, just being cautious I guess.
Kalle

#6 • • Kalle Kiusankappale

Opulent, 31.1.2007 09:08:
some other djs have said that they've had to send id to thomann previously, so it could be a german thing. Also they only want id for first purchase as im a new customer. What is a bit silly is that i can order from them, and pay an extra 13s, if i pay by cod. I dont want to do that though because it makes more sense for me to pay from my english account, and take advantage of the stronger pound.

I have ordered stuff from Musicstorekoeln.de and I haven't had to send any things like that to them. I just filled in my credit card details on their web page and that's it.
Aziz Combat Fighter

#7 • • Aziz Combat Fighter
I've heard of this practice before, but I'm unable to look up any sources at this time. However, you should probably call them and speak to a person first before doing this, or do some googling about the subject.

I don't think much damage can be done with a photocopy of your passport, since I doubt they're interested in shutting your cellphone account or whatever your social security number can be used for.
Timce

#8 • • Timce
I've ordered records from a store situated in Germany and they asked me to do the same thing. I didn't have a passport at the time, but they accepted my driving licence. I can see it's a safety protocol for them, not to sell to a stolen credit card, and I did't have any problems with that.

--
-Cook the man some fucking eggs-

-Jake the Muss

Jussi Soro

#9 • • Jussi Soro choon!

Kalle, 31.1.2007 09:27:
I have ordered stuff from Musicstorekoeln.de and I haven't had to send any things like that to them. I just filled in my credit card details on their web page and that's it.

Yep, that's how it worked for me too.
#10 • • x Guest
well, you do run the risk of identity theft. i'm not saying this store is necessarily doing anything dodgy, but at least find out first what they need your passport information for, and how that information is stored and protected.
Opulent

#11 • • Opulent
they said once my id was confirmed the copies would be destroyed, and i'd be put on their computer, which would mean i wouldnt have to do the same again with future purchases.