Rosegarden dead?

33 posts, 2 pages, 15,915 views

anqqa

#21 • • anqqa tirehtööri

Mongolia, 24.4.2006 18:22:
---
salaisinko?, 24.4.2006 17:44:
don't doubt it at all, but since rosegarden and mocambo are clubs in which those styles are heavily noted, it's sort of - umm, how should I put it - senseless to catapult commentaries like that?

---

Eikö täällä nyt tosiaan saa olla mitään mieltä mistään ilman että joutuu tuon plur-terrorismin kohteeksi. Ne bileet varmaan jää pitämättä minun nillitysten takia. Ja samma på engelska jne.

edit: siis se eka postaus oli ainakin puoliksi huumorimielessä kirjoitettu. Unohdin alleviivata hymiöillä.

this area is in english only plx tnx bye.

--
.___. .___.
(O,o) {ò,Ó}
(|;|) (|_|)
=´=`===´=`===
ORLY? YA RLY!

mekaanikko

#22 • • mekaanikko don selecta

Peter the dj, 23.4.2006 18:40:
It is the fact that Helsinki club scene is just not exist at the moment. Some sporadic events not fix the situation.

Well, that's one way too see it but not one I'd personally agree with. What qualifies as a club scene? Helsinki has several - admittedly most of them quite small - clubs that feature alternative dance music (as opposed to mainstream dance pop) 3-7 nights a week: Rose Garden, Kuudes linja, Oujee, Beatroot, Super, Mocambo, Underbar...

Another way of looking at it is to look at the number of notable foreign artists visiting the city. This is obiviously not an objective measure, but does still give a rough idea. Coming up in the next 1,5 or so months are at least:

DJ Play Paul
Mike Grant
Parham
Nookie
Karim
Robert Hood
Ronski Speed
Norman Jay
Talvin Singh
Egyptian Lover
múm DJs

+ a host of lesser names, probably quite a few I forgot and a couple yet to be announced

Is that a lot or a little? It depends. Obiviously in places like Berlin or New York that's an average weekend night's worth of major artists, or even compared to Tallinn it's not much to shout about. And true enough, although many genres are included, some are definitely missing. But still, it's in my opinion quite typical of the Helsinki club scene the past 5 years. During which time, BTW, it seems this "Helsinki club life is dead, it was soooo much better 2 years ago" -type of discussion has been going on almost continuously somewhere.

I don't think it's goin to get any better than this anytime soon, and I don't think it has been much better anytime in the immediate past (with the notable exception of 2000/01, Talkin' All That, Freeform et al).

--
Erään pikkutytön nenään kasvoi kaksi vaaleansinistä nauhaa. Tapaus oli siinä mielessä harvinainen, että toisessa nauhassa luki "Mars" ja toisessa "Jupiter".
-- Daniil Harms: Uusi anatomia

Kristiina

#23 • • Kristiina

U n i k, 19.4.2006 18:36:
Last sunday Rose Garden was on fire!

also on easter friday! alas club with modeselektor and katusea dj´s . wow! rg definitely didn´t let me down on that night. still gets me chills when I think about it ;D
easily the best party for a while!
thebbo

#24 • • Edited thebbo free spirit
The scene has turned from known collaborative club-brands to individual clubs with individual promoters and artists. We used to have lots of names of organisations arranging bigger parties with bigger names. I'm not sure why there aren't any left, but it seems to me that names like Screen, Pussy or Hallmark were something that offered a guaranteed clubbing experience with lots of people coming there meeting their friends and having fun, and perhaps to listen and dance to some quality music.

Now it's just a handful of worthy places to go to, and it's always artist-oriented. So you have to know what the artist plays to relate yourself to it, and not to some kind of organisation or brand that somehow guarantees the quality. I would see this point as one of the reasons the remaining groups (Entropy, Hytky, Millenium, [:reiv:]) are considered interesting and people actually like going to their parties and support them. The thing right now is "do what you feel like" and "a little something for everyone", lots of little parties with little crowd and certain type of music. It's really fragmented.

Also the lack of quality venues is killing the scene here. Before Kerma and Hesperia were closed down, we used to have that something that is missing right now, in Helsinki area at least. Those places had big dance floors, nice sound system and a general dance club feel to it. Now, if you look at what we have left, it doesn't make me feel that joyful. Rose Garden is too small for a dance club, Kaapelitehdas is big but not a club that you can go to and doesn't have regular programme (fucking expensive too), Volume is the same old Premiere Nights we all hated (and smells like kebab every time) and Fever is just annoying place with no regular programme (like Kaapeli).

This leaves us Kuudes linja, Helsinki club and a couple of random places with random names playing random music. I would like to give some credit to the PA systems at Tavastia and Nosturi, but those places are expensive and rock-oriented. Unless Kerma is resurrected or those organisations start bringing in some quality DJs with bigger party action, I don't see any change in the situation.

--
Vittu tähän on nyt tultu paljon spekulaatioit on kuultu vähän on tiedetty vitusti enemmän on luultu paskaa puhuttu huhuttu yksityiskohtiin juututtu, mut totuus puuttuu mikää ei edelleenkää oo muuttunu

th

#25 • • th
Well, alot has to do with age aswell...My guess is that most people who'd agree with my statement are 25+ years old.."us oldies" just seen a bit more of parties n music styles then some of the younger party patch..Music evolves,styles evolve like everything else,but there is just no going back to the old +130bpm bangers,acid hypes and bodypainting..

Its just a theory of mine,but the peeps who went to certain events,are starting families,having kids ect..I mean I for my part feel old when I go to these trance/HH events..

So, I guess the veterans are missing the old days,the old feelings and hypes which isnt just doable anymore,as they seen it all..sounds snobbish,i know ;)

So I guess what we need is a revival event of the old days,hit the drums,do the smoke signs and get the old crew out of their wheelchairs 'n feel young again...lol

All this is subjective,so i aint flaming no1.. Its just frustrating that they dont ask for my ID on the door anymore *grr* lol
mekaanikko

#26 • • mekaanikko don selecta

thebbo, 26.4.2006 17:59:
Rose Garden is too small for a dance club,
This leaves us Kuudes linja,

BTW, Kuudes linja is a lot smaller than Rose Garden (as measured by capacity, obiviously Rose Garden is lower in height but don't see that as a problem myself). Personally I think RG is great for clubs - as is Kuudes linja. Obiviously it's not Kerma and it has its flaws, but I always have great time there.

--
Erään pikkutytön nenään kasvoi kaksi vaaleansinistä nauhaa. Tapaus oli siinä mielessä harvinainen, että toisessa nauhassa luki "Mars" ja toisessa "Jupiter".
-- Daniil Harms: Uusi anatomia

thebbo

#27 • • Edited thebbo free spirit
As measured by capacity of the total amount of people, yes. As measured by the amount of people squeezing their asses to the dance floor, no. Rose Garden is too small to be a dance club. There's no space for the DJ to play, and there's no room for any dancing either. As a guy who's over 190cm tall, I can't seem to fit myself there either. The ceiling is just too low and the pillars there are blocking the view for most of the crowd. We need a place like Kerma back, that place was a true dance club.

The reason I mentioned Kuudes linja is that the place actually has some room for dancing, and the DJ seems to have enough space too. The PA system there ain't that bad either.

--
Vittu tähän on nyt tultu paljon spekulaatioit on kuultu vähän on tiedetty vitusti enemmän on luultu paskaa puhuttu huhuttu yksityiskohtiin juututtu, mut totuus puuttuu mikää ei edelleenkää oo muuttunu

Aziz Combat Fighter

#28 • • Aziz Combat Fighter

nuance, 19.4.2006 17:56:
Somehow the atmosphere in RG feels a bit tense for me. Can't quite pinpoint what it is that puts me on edge there but I just don't quite feel at home there anymore. I used to, though. Musicwise reggae, soul, rnb and stuff like that aren't my cup of tea and lately I've somehow managed to be there on such nights. The nights at RG that I'd actually like to go to, are pretty much all on weeknights and clubbing on weeknights just sucks balls.

Though I absolutely hate trance and hardshit, I actually prefer going to aforementioned events because of the atmosphere. Ideally I'd attend drum'n'bass events for 400+ heads but for various reasons I've managed to miss pretty much every one of said events this year.

I think it's the combination of the low ceiling with dark lights. It's like a shitty dungeon for popped collars and sweaty scene-coolness. No thanks.
DenisV

#29 • • Edited DenisV I Love Kiksu
Here people complaines about venues. If we go way back "Club Hype" was just a dark bar with black walls and music was one thing why people go there.

Here in Helsinki one fact for sure, from promotor point of view. The place owners dont let book places for saturday and its one thing why promotor cant book better artist from foreign countries, to much risk. Big thumb for Rosengarden do to such thing and trying to make this scene more intresting!

Also one thing for sure, young people listen more hiphop music and thing acually effects to trance/techno events, old farts do not go anymore to parties because music is not good enougth, young people choose hiphop/rmb oriented parties, because it is blink blink!
Mar6

#30 • • Edited Mar6 Team Apinaorkesteri

young people choose hiphop/rmb oriented parties, because it is blink blink!

WORD! *hymy* *hymy*

--
-Where there is house there is a home-

krispis

#31 • • krispis Huhuu
*ding* i like rosegarden especially because of it's low ceiling and dark lights *tirsk*
z

#32 • • z
like a womb. red and lumpy ceiling, tight dark space, warm and tight sound.. *hymy* quite a safe place
krispis

#33 • • krispis Huhuu
yes,indeed *joo*