tech minimal parties in helsinki in august

11 posts, 1 page, 10,533 views

chrisdisco

#1 • • chrisdisco
hi all

i am in helsinki for the next couple of weeks until about august 24th. i am trying to find out whether there are any good minimal, techno, or (good) house DJs playing in helsinki while i am here. i have tickets for FLOW but couldnt find anything else...

thanks

chris
Sami de Sousa

#2 • • Sami de Sousa [Diggin Deep, Vibes]
Hi Chris!

This Wednesday (9.8.) there is a Open Deck's Night @ Super Bar and at least I'm going to play minimal techno.

Super Bar is located near Kamppi (Address: Eerikinkatu 11) and the party starts at 10pm.

Welcome!
mekaanikko

#3 • • mekaanikko don selecta
Hi,

The safest bet for minimal techno in Helsinki is Valtimo club at mbar (at Lasipalatsi, can't miss it, http://www.mbar.fi/). I'm not quite sure which date they have in August (if any?) but I'd place my bets on Saturday the 12th. mbar also has some other nights with minimal-ish sound, though it's really just a nice café and not a club. The deejays to keep eye open for would be Samuli Kemppi a.k.a. DJ Sam and J. Kusti who usually host the techno nights there.

As for the following tips, I must admit I'm a bit biased here, because I work for both Rose Garden and Kuudes linja, but these also happen to match my personal, non-professional opinions. =)

For decent house, I'd say The Box at Rose Garden (Iso Roobertinkatu 10, in Punavuori district) every Saturday would be the place to go. It's on every Saturday 10 PM to 4 AM, entrance 7 euros (except for when there are international guests when it's usually 8 euros). Deep and tech house is played, mostly.

Also Sundays at Kuudes linja (Kaikukatu 4, in Kallio district - the Flow day event will be on the yard where this club is located) are usually deep-ish house oriented. The party is usually a total mayhem as it's full of the real pros of Helsinki nightlife. From 1 PM to 3 AM (during the day on the terrace - where you can also have a barbecue at a gas-fed grill, bring your own food & utensils - then the party moves inside in the evening), free entry. I especially recommend the Freedom Bar Flow Afterparty on Sunday the 20th, the lineup will include among others hannulelauri which is an incredebly good deep techno live and Sex Tags DJs from Norway who play really nice house.

I'll post more if I can think of something. =)

--
Erään pikkutytön nenään kasvoi kaksi vaaleansinistä nauhaa. Tapaus oli siinä mielessä harvinainen, että toisessa nauhassa luki "Mars" ja toisessa "Jupiter".
-- Daniil Harms: Uusi anatomia

chrisdisco

#4 • • chrisdisco
thanks for the info guys. checked out mbar yesterday and looks cool, but perhaps not any of the right people are playing while i am here. the other suggestions sound good and might try to check them out if i can summon up the courage to go by myself! i am here for a summer school at helsinki university and everyone else i have met is very, very straight and i dont think they will be down for some good music...

also know of any internationals playing soon? i guess i shouldnt be greedy. flow should be great with UR, lindstrom and prins thomas, brikha, moodymann and so on...
Jaques

#5 • • Jaques HUGC / So Nice!
If your looking for some house then drop by on fri at Super Bar when me and my palls at HUGC spinn. Just relax, have a fiew bevies and bob to the grooves.
http://klubitus.org/tapahtuma.php?id=10018

--
Not everybody understands house music. It's a spiritual thing , a body thing!

mekaanikko

#6 • • mekaanikko don selecta

chrisdisco, 8.8.2006 11:21:
also know of any internationals playing soon? i guess i shouldnt be greedy. flow should be great with UR, lindstrom and prins thomas, brikha, moodymann and so on...

Well, this month is going to be a bit slow because of UMF and Flow festivals, they pretty much take up the international guests quota on the techno/deep house side. On 24th there will be Legowelt and Orgue Electronique, more on the electro tip of course, at Kuudes linja. Rose Garden will host DJ Spinna on 17th, that's quite far from techno etc. but an interesting international guest anyway. And there's the Sex Tags DJs from Norway I mentioned, they're not exactly famous but they're good! =)

Early September will see visits from Morgan Geist, Aux88 and DJ Pierre but that's probably too late for your schedule.. =(

--
Erään pikkutytön nenään kasvoi kaksi vaaleansinistä nauhaa. Tapaus oli siinä mielessä harvinainen, että toisessa nauhassa luki "Mars" ja toisessa "Jupiter".

mekaanikko

#7 • • mekaanikko don selecta
A few more interesting nights, still not strictly techno/minimal, but judge by yourself whether these interest you:

This Friday (11th) Alas Dubstep Special at Rose Garden, Katusea Soundsystem with special guest N-Type from UK, tickets 8 . Friday 25th at mbar Extended (they put up a soundsystem in the tunnel in front of mbar) KRÄP! with Jake the Rapper (USA), Putsch '79, Acid Kings, Tes La Roc & Mercman plus some DJs, tickets 9 (advance tickets 7 from Lifesaver and mbar).

--

Niro

#8 • • Niro
I would like to thanks for the info as well. I start getting directions of where should i feed my minimal/techno or house hunger.
chrisdisco

#9 • • chrisdisco
thanks for the info again guys. having trouble finding the time to hit some things but will head down to Kuudes linja this sunday. sounds totally dope. so keep an eye out for a lost australian...

perhaps not the best time for me to be visiting finland music wise, but loving the weather so cant complain...
-P

#10 • • Edited -P
Hey Chris.

A couple of friends of mine have been having dj's & live performances like Anton Kubikov, The Field, Markus Guentner f.ex. at the Bio Rex terrace, so if you're really into minimal get yourself over there tomorrow. They've been doing that for the whole summer now and I'm slightly amazed that you haven't heard anything of it, or have you? :o

It starts at 20.00 and will last till 02.00 (only :/)
The adress is Mannerheimintie 22-24

--
Sota on Rauhaa, Vapaus on Orjuutta, Tietämättömyys on Voimaa -George Orwell

chrisdisco

#11 • • chrisdisco

salaisinko?, 12.8.2006 00:19:
Hey Chris.

A couple of friends of mine have been having dj's & live performances like Anton Kubikov, The Field, Markus Guentner f.ex. at the Bio Rex terrace, so if you're really into minimal get yourself over there tomorrow. They've been doing that for the whole summer now and I'm slightly amazed that you haven't heard anything of it, or have you? :o

It starts at 20.00 and will last till 02.00 (only :/)
The adress is Mannerheimintie 22-24

wow. sounds good. so does that mean sunday - so today - or was it last night? i will definitely come along tonight if it is on...